Monday, July 03, 2006

Poker :: final table, finally

Yesterday was the first Sunday in ages when I didnt have to worry about any deadlines, or works not done, so I knew in advance (before I got out of bed at 1pm), that this day is gonna be a complete-waste-of-time-fest. And waste I did. 30min poker, 1hour sunbathing (+32 outside), 30min poker, eating something, drinking chilly Freixenet that was left from previous night dinner etc... At one point I was about to do some sports even, but thought that would be against the plan of the day (waste'em) , so played more poker instead.
I fired up another $4.4 180man S&G in the evening. The start was very smooth, without any jeopardizing or coinflip situations, and at the first break I was in slight chiplead with 70 players left. At that point the hand grew cold and I just sat there without playing any pots, stealing occasional blind here or there, but not increasing my stack whatsoever. With 25 players left I was noticeably below the average, so when I got QQ under the gun, and got reraised by the button, I pushed, and he flipped AA. I said "gg", and started packing my toys, but I hit my two outer on the river and doubled up. The very next hand I doubled up again with AJ vs AQ on ace-jack flop, and suddenly I was top3 in chips with 18players. I took it solid from there and got to heads-up.




I was determined to win this one, since this was my third HU in this tournament, and the two times before I was happy with second place so back then I pushed any hand and got beat. This time HU went well over 30mins, but Lady Luck turned her ugly rear on me yet again. Most of the time I was about 5:2 to 2:1 ahead, and twice got the opponent all-in with better chances - first time with 63 vs 84 on a A32 flop (4 hit the river), second time QJs vs 78s on a Axx random flop (8 fell on turn). Despite loosing the heads-up I was happy with my play, and so was my batered bankroll with $144.00 for a 2nd. And im definetily NOT playing $0.50/1.00 yet :)
See you at the next final table :)

No comments: