Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sports :: Swiss O Week

For the last two weeks I was off to Switzerland, Zermatt, for a Swiss O Week competition. Since I felt pretty weak and not prepared well enough, I entered HAL group (men long distance) which is one step below the Elite (top) group, which I used to race in when I did train seriously. The field was pretty tough, 110 ppl in total, and after 6 days of racing and giving my best I took... 74th place :)
Im pretty content with my performance though, because I did not do any big mistakes in a completely unfamiliar type of terrain - very steep, rocky, open with no trees, and my physical preparation surely would not allow me to achieve any better standing.
All in all, 6 competition days and all the resting days used for climbing up the mountains (trips starting at 2200m altitude and finishing at icy lakes at 3250m altitude, also climbing to Breithorn which is 4164m if I'm not mistaken) made up 10 consecutive days of pure training in total, which is a huge boost to my overal fitness level.
I had to do so many re-re-re-tellings of the stories about the trip, disco that finished with the walk in the graveyard, pokemon (a.k.a. small, smiling and waving Japaneseans) trains etc etc so wont repeat myself hudreth time again in here... ;)
Here are few pics from the series "climbing the lady mountain step by step".

Nearing the top


Better not step off the track


Last 20 meters


Woot (me in PS cap:)


Glance to the right (Zermatt)


Glance to the left (Italy)


Next Saturday I'm planning to take 3km trial test to see where I'm at. My goal for the first trial in the planned series is 11'30, but I'll be happy with anything below 12'00.

No comments: