Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Poker :: how did it start

For those of you that don't know a lot about me, here's the quick version. I'm a 23 yr old IT project manager from Vilnius, Lithuania who also happens to spend a lot of time playing online poker. Yup, thats Rizen's opening sentence in his poker blog. My goal for the next six months is to improve my game at the same pace as Rizen did :) No figures, no numbers, I'll just know if I achieved it or not.
I started poker quite accidentally. I was on a bussiness trip last February. While in hotel my colleague used to play "Magic: the Gathering Online" all night long on his laptop. Watching that is exciting, but only for the first 15mins. Internet connection and my laptop was too crappy to play WorldOfWarcraft (my previous online activity:), so I switched to TV, and there was EPT Barcelona final table going on. After watching Boublie win the event and rake in 0.5m3 (cubic metres) of Euros, I went to PStars, and created the account. Playmoney limit holdem was my first "normal" poker game, and by the 4am I already knew that for some reason A-5 is a straight, and that *surprise surprise* full house beats flush! I even chipped up to 2000 starting with the initial 1000:)
By the beginning of May i had read about 6 poker books (including Sklansky's ToP, both Harrington's volumes), and had 350k in playmoney, so it was about time to invest $50 "to see how it goes". Slowly building bankroll and confidence, I moved up limits faster than my bankroll would allow. Primarily focusing on cashrings, I also made a few final tables in the 180man $4.4 S&G's. I have read somewhere, that the traditional poker player undergoes defined evolution:
  • Level1. Donkey poker.
  • Level2. Uber tight poker.
  • If doing well in lvl2, one starts feeling invincible and there goes
  • Level3. Beast poker. Overly aggressive and overplaying bad hands far too often, thus losing money at impressive hourly rates. Leads to permanent lvl1 or lvl4.
  • Level4. Good poker. Say hello to WSOP, EPT etc.

By mid June I did break trough to the infamous third level I guess. Having 25% of my bankroll in the play all the time, i moved up to $0.50/1.00 NL Holdem, and soonish after I won the biggest pot so far - my KK held up vs QQ and 45s flush draw in a three-way-all-in for a nice $273. With the poker future clear and bright, I closed all the tables and sat down to write part of my masters thesis (im both full-time employee, and full-time student at the moment:) After 3 days and two nights of nonstop writing to meet the deadline I was finally done, and felt like playing some poker for 1 hour before going to sleep. It was a very bad idea since after first two bad beats (my QQ cracked by 78s on a 7xx flop, river 8, and stuff like this) I went on a MEGA tilt blowing 80% of my bankroll in a matter of two hours, then some more the next day. So after the first two months of poker playing im exactly at the same point where I was after the first two weeks - with bankroll just over $150. But when going gets tough, the tough get going. Hopefully:)

No comments: